


Scot & I went on a ride to Montana with some of my family, and it was a great ride. We went through Virginia City, Quake Lake, Hebgen Lake, and West Yellowstone. It was such a beautiful ride! I didn't know anything about Quake Lake, but I guess back in 1959, there was a powerful earthquake (7.5 on the Richter scale) that triggered a massive landslide, which sent over 80 million tons of rock down into the canyon. It blocked the Madison River, and formed the new Earthquake Lake. 28 people died, and hundreds more were trapped. One of my aunts was camping with the young women there, and in the middle of the night, the bishop had a feeling that they needed to leave, so they woke everyone up and packed there stuff and left. About a half hour or so later, the campground was completely buried. It was a really neat place to go visit.



2 comments:
Looks like a beutiful ride,you look like you were having fun,a couple that rides together stays together,so "keep on Bikin".
Looks like a great time. When I was a girl I remember Dad telling us about that landslide when we were traveling, I didn't remember about the lake. Wow, that is cool about the Bishop having the Young Womens camp leave. Mom
Post a Comment