Friday, May 2, 2008


'A moment in time'. This display depicts the first ride of the Pony Expess that began April 3, 1860 at 7:15 pm. The 2000 mile treck through the wilderness had relay stations every 15 miles or so where a rider only had 2 min. to change horses and be hammered down again. the relay stations were small shacks with one stock tender and fresh horses. The riders would have to endure 50 to 75 miles of all out action with four horse change outs. At the points of rider change they had a station house where the station manager, stock tenders and riders lived.

2 comments:

Brett and Amy said...

Love all the info! I'll just live vicariously through you guys.

anita said...

Hi, I love U.S. history so I'm gobbling up the Pony Express etc. I love the houses in St. Jo. I used to dream of owning a home from the past and fixing it up. Glad you were able to get some riding in after the storm. Love Mom