Sunday, September 14, 2008

When the kids are away. . . .

All the kids were away from home with various activities, which left Blaine and I home alone, which is something that very rarily happens. We usually just feel a little lost without kids but on this particular Saturday, Blaine suggested we run out to Deception Pass and go for a quick boat
tour. I grabbed my camera and thought perhaps I could get a lovely picture of the bridge. Well, unfortunately I didn't get that dreamed of picture, as the Captain raced out the Pass so quickly that all I could see through the mess of my flying hair was a faint glimpse of the bridge and then it was gone. And then way cooler than some old bridge, we saw two pods of young male orcas. We weren't allowed to get very close, so from a distance we watched. First we saw dorsal fins, then a little bit of the top of the head. . .



more waiting, and then some splashing
and fins again, it was the second pod.
We were pretty excited to get to see
whales. . . and then the magnificent breach,
okay not as spectacular as on the discovery
channel but still exciting. Then it was time to go. . . .
I wanted to stay, to get closer, but alas my camera
is not waterproof so pulling a man overboard excerise
to extend our stay was not an option.
And then almost as quickly as it started it ws all over. Another quick run through the Pass, more flying hair and stinging wind and then we were back at the dock with a day full of memories. . . .






4 comments:

anita said...

You were very fortunate to see the whales! Gorgeous pics. Bridge pics will come later right? What a great experience for you. Love Mom

Brett and Amy said...

I lived there how long, and never saw whales? That is so cool -you'll have to start taking more excursions now.

Kansas Halls said...

Amazing pictures! To a Kansas Flatland,The discovery channel has nothing on you. A magical moment in time that not many of us will experience. Thanks for the pics.

Scot & Tanya said...

Those are great pictures! What a fun experience!!