Christmas is in the air! Sales have started, shelves are being stocked, and wish lists are being compiled as anxious children eagerly dog-ear pages of the Toys R Us catalogue. But not Gavin. No, he had little interest in the newly featured toys sure to be this years must-have item. So I worried, "Would Santa know what to bring this 6 year old child, that would bring enough joy to fulfill a years worth of anticipation?" Finally a clue. A normal enough ride home after dropping the twins off at preschool lightened my dilemma (Cohen babbling, and Gavin wondering aloud if he had been short changed when he spent the $6 he had saved up several months ago). Then out of nowhere, 
Gavin: "Mom, I want a Swivel Sweeper."
Amy: "A what?"
Gavin: "A Swivel Sweeper."
It took me a minute or two to understand and then it was hard to keep my composure. You see, Saturday morning the kids come into our room to watch cartoons while we try to get a few more minutes of very interrupted sleep. I try to keep at least one ear on alert, while I snooze to be aware of inappropriate cartoons or silence, which any mother knows means trouble. When I heard an info-mercial, I wasn't too worried. Nor was I when a half hour later finally rolled out of bed, and the info-mercial was still on. Stunned at how captivated my four sweet little children were, I took a few moments to watch and see what had held their attention for so long. That's right, the "Swivel Sweeper". The benefits of a vacuum with the lightness of a broom, the 360 degree head seeks out dirt in any direction...yada, yada, yada. So this year Santa's elves can either try to match that kind of technology or just mail in 2 easy payments of $19.99. Never underestimate the power of advertising.

Gavin: "Mom, I want a Swivel Sweeper."
Amy: "A what?"
Gavin: "A Swivel Sweeper."
It took me a minute or two to understand and then it was hard to keep my composure. You see, Saturday morning the kids come into our room to watch cartoons while we try to get a few more minutes of very interrupted sleep. I try to keep at least one ear on alert, while I snooze to be aware of inappropriate cartoons or silence, which any mother knows means trouble. When I heard an info-mercial, I wasn't too worried. Nor was I when a half hour later finally rolled out of bed, and the info-mercial was still on. Stunned at how captivated my four sweet little children were, I took a few moments to watch and see what had held their attention for so long. That's right, the "Swivel Sweeper". The benefits of a vacuum with the lightness of a broom, the 360 degree head seeks out dirt in any direction...yada, yada, yada. So this year Santa's elves can either try to match that kind of technology or just mail in 2 easy payments of $19.99. Never underestimate the power of advertising.



No comments:
Post a Comment